The Department of Computer Engineering was established in 1983, the first one in the state of Madhya Pradesh and Central India. Initially the department offered an undergraduate program with an intake of 12 students, which has now been increased to 90. It was the first one to introduce the post graduate program in Computer Engineering in the state.
Innovation in Teaching-Learning Process
The department is using Innovative Teaching Learning Methodologies such as use of MOODLE for Automatic Evaluation and also stresses on Zero Plagiarism by using Plagiarism Checker SIM C. Some of the other innovative methods of teaching used are Open Book Test etc.
- Auto Evaluation of Programming Assignments using Code Runner which helps students in learning their mistakes during coding and provides conducive environment for self appraisal. Also, it allows students to learn from any place at any time at his own pace.
- Plagiarism check of Programming Assignments using Sim C keeps a check on plagiarism and builds up ethics of the students and also inculcates in them a sense of integrity and teaches them importance of data privacy and ownership.
- Use of open ended assignments allows improvement in thinking process of students and it is used to challenge the bright students.
- Open book tests are used to inculcate higher order learning in the students. Also, in design problems, student’s submissions are discussed in order to improve his thinking process and improve his/her learning. A sample solution is given to the students and a group discussion is done for discussing the pros and cons of different solutions of the same problem, thereby promoting their ability to think out of the box.
- Use of open source software /tools/utilities like Moodle helps students learn from anywhere and at the same time allows teachers to interact with the students in real time which helps in building better teaching learning environment.